Monday, July 25, 2016

Meditation.... Day 1

Day 1 of my Meditation

Now that I know what some of the many benefits of meditation are I challenged myself to give it a try and see how it may help me manage and celebrate my ADHD. However, I am not really sure of what to do... So, I Googled meditation for beginners, and found How to Meditate for Beginners from Wiki How to do Anything.

1. Prepare for meditation:
      Since this is my first time trying meditation, my goal is to be open to the experience and follow where it might take me.  I decided to meditate first thing in the morning to start my day off on a positive note. I love the flowers on my deck and thought this was a good distraction free focal point. Most of the reading that I have done suggest meditating for 10 minutes to start, so my timer is set for 10 minutes.  Away we go.....

2. Meditation:
     I began by sitting on my yoga mat and getting myself comfortable. I try to quiet my mind and do all the things I am supposed to do- hands in a comfortable position, chin down, timer on, mouth closed, and my focus is on my breathing. That is easier said than done! My mind is all over the place and I have to remind myself to come back to my breathing. I keep on asking myself.... Did I set the timer? How long has it been? Am I doing this right? Oh look a squirrel! Back to breathing.... in through my mouth and out through my nose.....

I am not sure if I would call this meditation session a success, but I did do it for more than 10 minutes! I think being outdoors in a comfortable place was helpful as was the sounds of nature all around me. Being new to this, at times I wasn't really sure what I should be doing or feeling so I counted my breaths and listened to the birds tweeting at each other. I must say that I do feel more relaxed and ready to take on the day and am hopeful that this feeling will last all day.

With a positive attitude and energy I am going to enjoy my day!

Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment